Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 9 July 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 9 July 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Bob Taylor. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag, and the Pledge to the SAR. In attendance were sixteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Chaplain Gary Smith, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Dr. Bill Henry, Frank Budroe, Steve Hurst, Ron Risley, Richard McMullen, Dan Sword, Gene Cooper, Keith Nightingale, Robert Jordan and Ken Lynch. The five guests included Vicki Schmaeman (Joel’s mother) and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Willie Budroe, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith and Dr. Sunny McMullen.
- There were no birthdays claimed for the month of June.
- Neither Gil Anema nor Joel Schmaeman were present and we did not have their supplemental membership certificates, so the presentation was again tabled until the August meeting.
- The minutes for the meeting of 14 May was read and approved as amended. [(1) meeting was called to order by President Bob Taylor, and (2) introduction of Dick Hawley, CASSAR Trustee, was omitted under old business.] The minutes for the meeting of 11 June were read and approved.
- The treasurer’s report was not presented, due to the illness of the Treasurer, Bill Bays.
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. Working with several prospective members, Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton, Dale DeHArt, Jim Wyly, Robert Steenberg, Samuel Thompson, Ed Lewis and Chris Lowe. David Armstrong’s application is at NSSAR. Gil Anema’s, Richard McMullen’s and Ward White’s supplemental applications are at NSSAR. Alan & Eric Middleton’s supplemental applications sent to CSSAR.
- Compatriot Richard McMullen gave an interesting history on his ancestor, Jonathan Dennis. Those scheduled to talk about their ancestors at future meetings are: Richard Caldwell/Vickie Schmaeman, August; Ron Risley, September; Bill Bays, October; Eric Stassforth, November; Bob Colburn, December; and Steve Hurst, January.
- Compatriot Hale Hamilton’s triple bypass surgery scheduled for 21 July was noted, and a request for prayers was made.
- The Chapter roster was distributed for review, and corrections requested
- The status of the Scout activity certificates was reported by Ron Risley. Total of 55 were awarded.
- Vicki Schmaeman reported on the awards presented by the Chapter to DAR’s Patti Longo and Vickie Schmaeman.
- The need for volunteers to work in the Nominating and Awards Committees was emphasized. The current list of committees was circulated, with Ward White volunteering for the Nominating Committee, Eric Stassforth for the CAR liaison, and Vicki Schmaeman for Veteran Affairs.
- The BBQ at the Dodds in Orange County 17 July was again announced and reservation forms were made available for those desiring to attend.
- Ron Risley’s SOA awards inclusion into the chapter website was noted by President Taylor.
- Steve Hurst reported on Best Chapter contest. He reported only 4 chapters out of 11 last year were participating.
The Jamestowne Society meeting for 23 October at the Regency Club in Westwood was announced. Martha M. McCartney, Research Historian & Author, will be the featured speaker.
Compatriots Ron Risley, Eric Stassforth and George Horne provided a panel discussion on genealogy, titled “Genealogy and You”. The program was well received, and generated discussion and questions.
Next Meeting: Friday, 13 August 2010
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Robert Taylor, Acting Chapter Secretary